What's New |
Missing Link |
Book Title : FreeBSD Handbook (2nd Edition)
eBook download format(s) : HTM html
ISBN-10 : 1571763031
ISBN-13 : 978-1-571763-03-7
Author(s) : Murray Stokely Nik Clayton
Publisher : Dancing Goat Press (Oct 2001)
Section : Unix OS
The FreeBSD Handbook is the primary source of documentation produced by the FreeBSD Documentation Project. This new edition contains over 650 pages of material about FreeBSD and has been completely updated to reflect FreeBSD 4.X and 5.0-CURRENT.
The FreeBSD Handbook comes with the full FreeBSD Operating System on CDROM. FreeBSD is a powerful, professional quality UNIX-compatible operating system. This book is the most comprehensive documentation set available from the FreeBSD Documentation Project. It covers installation, day-to-day use of FreeBSD, advanced system administration topics, and much more.
The following changes have been made since the first edition:
- A complete index has been added.
- All ASCII figures have been replaced by graphical diagrams.
- A standard synopsis has been added to each chapter to give a quick summary of what information the chapter contains, and what the reader is expected to know.
- The content has been logically reorganized into three parts:(1)Getting Started, (2)System Administration and (3)Appendices.
- Chapter 2 ("Installing FreeBSD") was completely rewritten with many screenshots added to make it easier for new users to grasp the text.
- Chapter 3 ("Unix Basics") has been expanded to contain additional information about processes, daemons, and signals.
- Chapter 4 ("Installing Applications") has been expanded to contain additional information about binary package management.
- Chapter 5 ("The X Window System") has been completely rewritten with an emphasis on using modern desktop technologies such as KDE and GNOME on XFree86 4.x.
- Chapter 6 ("Configuration and Tuning") is a new chapter for this edition!
- Chapter 7 ("The FreeBSD Booting Process") has been expanded.
- Chapter 12 ("Storage") has been rewritten from what used to be two separate chapters on "Disks" and "Backups". We feel that the topics are easier to comprehend when presented as a single chapter. A section on RAID (both hardware and software) has also been added.
- Chapter 14 ("Sound") is a new chapter for this edition!
- Chapter 17 ("Advanced Networking") has been expanded with many new sections about DNS, connection sharing, and more.
- Chapter 18 ("Electronic Mail") has been expanded to include more information about configuring sendmail.
- Chapter 20 ("Linux Compatibility") has been expanded to include information about installing Oracle and SAP/R3.
add to del.icio.us
You may use anyone of the download options
Missing Link?, Report It and try these 2 + 1 alternates...
Similar Book titles in Unix OS section:
The Unix-Haters Handbook
A Comprehensive Guide to FreeBSD
FreeBSD Developers Handbook
The Complete FreeBSD, Fourth Edition
Similar Book titles in Other sections:
Inside Autocad 14 (Limited Edition)
Handbook of Photosensory Receptors
CRC Handbook Chemistry and Physics, 85th Edition
Section: Data Structures and Algorithms
Handbook of Algorithms and Data Structures
Section: Parallel Computing
Handbook of Applied Expert Systems
Section: CS -> Theory
Lecture Notes on Algorithm Analysis and Computational Complexity (4th Edition)
Section: DB -> Oracle
Advanced Oracle PL/SQL Programming with Packages (Nutshell Handbook)
Section: DB -> SQL
Sams Teach Yourself Transact-SQL in 21 Days (2nd Edition)
Section: DB -> SQL Server
Special Edition Using Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 (2nd Edition)
Digital Photography Workflow Handbook
Alpha Architecture Handbook Version 4
Internet Publishing Handbook
Handbook for bloggers and cyber-dissidents
The Super Affiliate Handbook
Section: Java Enterprise Edition
WebLogic 6.1 Server Workbook for Enterprise JavaBeans (3rd Edition)
WebSphere 4.0 AEs Workbook for Enterprise JavaBeans (3rd Edition)
Abramowitz and Stegun: Handbook of Mathematical Functions
Data Conversion Handbook
PDF Reference Version 1.3 (Second Edition)
PDF Reference Version 1.4 (Third Edition)
PDF Reference Version 1.5 (Fourth Edition)
PDF Reference Version 1.6 (Fifth Edition)
Section: Microsoft C Sharp (C#)
A Programmer's Introduction to C# (Second Edition)
Programming C# (2nd Edition)
Section: Windows Development
Windows XP Registry Handbook
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition)
Wireless Networking Handbook
Linux Network Administrator's Guide (2nd Edition)
Internetworking Technologies Handbook, Fourth Edition
Internetwork Troubleshooting Handbook
Internet Routing Architectures (2nd Edition)
Section: Other Engineering
Structural Engineering Handbook
Forensic Structural Engineering Handbook
Ocean Engineering Handbook
Shock and Vibration Handbook
Handbook of Corrosion Engineering
Section: GNU/Linux OS
The Linux+FreeBSD mini-HOWTO
CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 87th Edition
Section: C Language
The C Programming Language (2nd Edition)
The C Answer Book (2nd Edition)
Section: C++ Language
ANSI/ISO C++ Professional Programmer's Handbook
The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition)
Thinking in C++, Volume 1: Introduction to Standard C++ (2nd Edition)
Python Imaging Library Handbook (2003 Edition)
Smalltalk/V Mac Tutorial and Programming Handbook
Section: Redbooks Draft
WebSphere RFID Handbook: A Solution Guide
LPAR Simplification Handbook
Web Services Handbook for WebSphere Application Server 6.1
WebSphere Application Server V6.1 Security Handbook
IBM System z Connectivity Handbook
IBM eServer pSeries Systems Handbook 2003 Edition
IBM WebSphere RFID Handbook: A Solution Guide
IBM System z Connectivity Handbook
IBM WebSphere Everyplace Deployment V6 Handbook for Developers and Administrators Volume I: Installation and Administration
IBM WebSphere Everyplace Deployment V6 Handbook for Developers and Administrators Volume II: Smart Client Application Development
Section: Redpapers Draft
PCI and PCI-X Placement Rules for IBM System i5, eServer i5, and iSeries servers with i5/OS V5R4 and V5R3 (Fourth edition)
PCI and PCI-X Placement Rules for IBM System i models: i5/OS V5R3 and V5R4 (Fourth edition)
Section: Software Engineering
Manager's Handbook for Software Development
Handbook of Software Reliability Engineering
Practical Radio Frequency Handbook
Teletraffic Engineering Handbook
Similar Books from Amazon :